Oh goodness. I feel
pulled in many directions—adjusting to apartment life, grocery shopping and
doing dishes and negotiating roommates who are decidedly different from each
other; life at school, getting to know the kids and lesson planning and trying
to write fast enough on the board to keep up with what I’m saying. (I’m finding
that is an art form.) Somehow in the
span of seven days, I have said goodbye to the church that I’ve attended since
freshman year of college, survived a tornado warning that lasted an entire
night, realized my entire lesson plan was falling apart, and, as the
culmination of the week, forgot my bag in the classroom and had to call my
teacher to let me back in—barely making it out of the parking lot only to get
pulled over for speeding. I’ve spent a lot of time this week wondering what I’m
doing, how I even think I can handle myself in the classroom and the real
world. My teacher put it beautifully when she said, after I had told her at
least part of what I was thinking after a frantic, rushed lesson last Tuesday,
that this pull I feel is because I’m thinking so hard about everything that is
muscle memory to the teachers I’m around. Everything takes time and energy and
feels new, and for now, my goal is to make it step by step and somehow see the
beauty of this week. Because it was there, and sometimes, the hard and
beautiful parts of this week were mere minutes apart.
One of the beautiful parts of this week is the gaggle of eleven year olds with whom I get to spend a rather large proportion of my waking hours. I can already feel my heart binding to the beautiful fifth grade
souls placed in my care. I am finding that it is possible to both be incredibly
annoyed with a child and also love them fiercely—in two weeks, I have felt both
at the same time so many times. I have felt what it’s like to not want to be
anywhere else and also what it’s like to be
this close to running for the hills. I have acted incredibly strong when I
felt achingly weak and cried in a bathroom only to come out and grin at
everyone around me. This is incredibly hard and complicated work. Who knows it
would be so hard to teach one subject,
let alone five or six every day? I love these kids enough to embarrass myself
every day trying to teach them, to do what’s best for them when they groan and
sigh over the books I spent hours scrounging for. I want to give my students
the world but on their end, it just looks like more homework I pile on top of
them. I want to please people. I want them to like me, to recognize what I do
for them and my desire for them, and I’m realizing that I really need to set
that aside for these kids. I switched
groups around for them once this week because it felt like half of them,
including my strongest readers, hated the books I chose for them—and I still
got complaints. I still got two kids who somehow misheard the directions to
rank their books 1 through 4 from most to least preferred, did it backwards and
got the book they least wanted. On Friday, I realized that I’m not going to
please all of these kids all the time, and that’s not my job. My job is to
teach them, and sometimes I will have to do so in less than ideal circumstances
with books and knowledge and tools I would do anything to exchange. I have to
make the best out of what I have and pray that God will fill the gap.
Another week of the good,
the bad, and the ugly is behind me now, and I’m looking at a new week, a new
beginning. This week, I get to welcome some of my favorite people back home on
campus. I get to dive into four books I think are really cool and see whatever
projects students bring in that will be so much more fun than any role sheet.
They get their time to show off their talents and talk about a book that, who
knows, they might actually really like. I have my concerns—a kid who is new,
who apparently had quite the past and didn’t get the book he wanted. My fear is
that he will withdraw, that he will close up after having adjusted so well to a
new school because he didn’t get the book he wanted. I’m afraid that exactly
the same thing will happen this week that happened last week, that the class
will decide AGAIN that they don’t like the book they chose and expect me to
cater to them again. I’m afraid they don’t take me seriously or see me as a
teacher yet. I’m afraid that I won’t be able to discipline well, that I’ll get
behind on my lesson plans and disappoint my teacher, that my apartment will not
be able to handle five very different women living together…but I don’t live
under fear. These fears that I have are not the end. Maybe they’ll happen,
maybe they won’t, but I know that I am equipped with the strength I’ll need for
the day. I know that my God will show up in unlikely places and broken people,
that sometimes the unyielding strength comes from crippling weakness.
It’s been a good weekend, and with a new week comes a new beginning.People have been moving in and it feels like coming home. I’ve been reminded that I
am surrounded by people who care, people who look a lot like Jesus and seen by
a God who knows my needs before I know them. I am carried and graced and highly
favored. This week, my goal is not to get it right. My goal is not to have all
the answers and master the schedule and time management and do the right thing
all the time, but to show up and let myself be drawn to need. To sit in it, to
sit with students who don’t understand, who are frustrated and tired, who are
finally feeling the effects of a new school and all new people. The honeymoon
period of a new school is ending—I can feel it—and my goal this week is to not
shy away from that. My goal is to lean into weakness and brokenness, to hear
hearts and act accordingly…even if it looks completely different from what I
think I’m “supposed’ to be doing. There is always more going on than meets the
eye. I don’t see everything and I don’t know everything, but I’m here, and,
right now, that’s enough.
"Courage, Dear Heart." Your goals are ones that follow after your King's heart and He has, indeed, gifted you in these areas. I've seen this over and over again in your life. May His grace be sufficient for you and His power made perfect in your weakness. The Lord is glorified in you. I'm praying for you now!
ReplyDelete