Friday, January 6, 2012

Five Minute Friday: Roar

GO

I feel it. I feel the pull of wanting fame, or at least wanting people to think well of me. I feel the roar of my expectations pulling at everything in me that wants to write something real, not forced for wanting comments or views or someone, anyone to acknowledge me. I want a heart of God when I write and I know I can't do that alone. I can't force God out of my mouth. I can try to squeeze meaning out of every passage of Scripture, but if He's not there...it's nothing. I have journals filled of me trying to squeeze some fraction of reality out of some passage or another.  If he's not invested in every word in this post or out of my mouth, my life is nothing.
I grew up Christian, but actually seeing Christ as someone real and alive and mine was difficult. I believed everything I was told--that he could heal any illness, answer any question, that he was God incarnate and died and rose again to save us from our sins, but something was missing. And it wasn't until He himself opened my eyes that I saw the Christ for real. Somehow, through cancer and losing my voice and reading books and having conversations, I saw him in technicolor. I can't explain it, but it happened because of Him.
That's what annoyed the Pharisees so much about Jesus. They knew every passage of the Torah inside and out, but he insisted that there was something more that they were missing. Reality was looking them dead in the eyes and all they could see was a stack of musty old books that needed to be understood. Simply put, they were so focused on themselves, on the roar of their own heads that they forgot him who has all the answers. Two thousand years later sits a girl with the same problem and mismatching socks, struggling to find Jesus in all the wrong places.

That's it!  Thats' the first Five Minute Friday of the year 2012 and a seriously amazing way to find Jesus for real and share him with others. So if you haven't already, link up here and share your own thoughts on the word roar...or anything else for that matter...

1 comment:

  1. Alyssa - love these insights! And LOVE the quote on the top of the blog :) One of my favorites!!!

    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete