Saturday, April 28, 2012

never alone

OK. Friday again. So here goes FMF.

 Set a timer and just write. Don’t worry about making it just right or not.
Go all in with your words.
Are you ready?
1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking
2.Link back here and invite others to join in.
3. Please visit the person who linked up before you & encourage them in their comments.

I thought I had already written about community, About living and loving and working alongside some of the best people in the world. About strangers turning into friends and friends turning into family and family blending into yourself until you can't tell where you end and they begin. But I can't keep from yelling about how cool it is that we, a bloggy community, many of whom I've never actually met, can do life together through a computer screen. That I can get excited about a truth that someone else in another state just discovered or brag to the world about my friend who just finished writing her book just by tapping out words on a keyboard. I can't keep from celebrating how cool it is that God didn't create us to be alone, but to love and be loved, even through a computer screen. I love how I can say that even when I feel alone, I'm not even close.

I could tell you about the first time I felt community, about how Knox and my family and my school rallied around me at my lowest point, leaving me scarred but forever changed, and I promise someday I will talk about all that in detail, but not yet. Right now, I'm thankful for you all and my family and small group and all the faces dancing through my head right now. I'm thankful for ice skating in the middle of the night and praying in a graveyard and all of the weird, awkward things I've done with people I love so much. I'm thankful for words pouring out even when I wasn't sure they would and people listening and loving me even when they didn't have to. I'm thankful for friends who wave while I sit on the sidelines and occasionally pull me back out into their midst. I'm thankful for awkward silences and painful conversations, because they're still part of the story, just like the armpit is still a part of the body regardless of how much it sweats. Visiting Spring Arbor last week taught me that I am never alone even when surrounded by strangers. And I think I'm thankful for that most of all.




1 comment:

  1. Wow! Thank you for your raw honesty! There is nothing like people who will sit by you and love you through the "armpit" of life! I've been to the pit and back and agree with you.

    Community is people showing each other the love of Christ. It's awesome that you are seeing that in the people God has brought into your life!

    Hope you're on your way out of the valley! God bless!

    Christy
    A Heartening Life
    accewillard.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete