Thursday, September 15, 2016

September 15, 2016: where I realize that I'm in the right place

Today started…very, very interestingly. I woke up tired as usual, painfully reluctant to leave my bed, even heading to a place where grace reigns, where knowledge is celebrated and where I spent the day with kids I am most definitely enthralled with. Exhaustion can cloud many things, including gratitude—and, apparently, how to make a cup of coffee. After my usual routine of setting my stuff in the room and printing the lesson plan and other tree killers for the day, I decided I probably needed caffeine for the day. I started the process—k-cup, turn on the machine, push the button, and got distracted momentarily by two things; creamer and a conversation with another teacher. As he turned to leave, I turned back to my coffee—and realized that I had completely forgotten to put a cup under the stream of coffee that was now coming out of the machine. I quickly rectified my mistake and learned within a matter of minutes that the best way to clean that weird gutter thing was probably to pour what little I could salvage into my coffee cup and then clean the collateral damage.  Cleaning up that mess, I was suddenly struck by a feeling that was actually quite familiar to me—a feeling that it would be an interesting day, that I would be fighting a battle for faith, for steadfastness in believing I was who I was named to be. 

For whatever reason, when these things happen to me, I find myself believing a lie that I present to myself—that it is possible for a particular incident to disqualify me. That x incident proves that I am incompetent, unworthy, that someone is bound to jump out somewhere and go "Ha! You really thought you could do that?". That because I can’t seem to match two pieces of clothing without my roommates’ assistance, because I can’t keep track of my keys and my phone, because I find myself frustrated or elated by the smallest things and some days are a roller coaster, my strengths are canceled out. But as persistent as that lie is, as often as it crops up over days and weeks and months and years, I am always supplied with sufficient strength to stand against it. Jesus is gentle with me in my doubt, and oddly enough, the incidents in question turn into stories that make people laugh, that make me into someone students and teachers and parents can feel safe around.


Sometimes, in my more rational moments, when I sit down and look at the work He does in and through me, I realize that this is what He’s doing. In these weaknesses, in awkward moments and those times I’m sure I just can’t, he is making my heart soft enough for others to enter in. Half the time, I doubt and shame myself for these moments that constitute so much of my life, but these moments are strength. They are making me soft, pliable, clay in the Potter’s hand. They wake me up to grace, to roses the secondary students were handing out today in assembly, to hugs from my kids and the day my teacher brought Starbucks for me, to knowing looks and shared laughter at incidents that would once cause me to dissolve into tears. They lead me to know and value the deep questions and aches of kids who are brave enough to share their hearts with me. I understand my students better through these moments of childlike need…because that’s what they are. These moments that I have are a heaven sent reminder that I am child and He is Father, and without Him, I can do nothing. They come when I am preoccupied and consumed with tasks and checklists and good enough and He levels me with a reminder to turn to Him. And I am stunned, as I look back, to see that there is hardly a day that comes without something—a reminder, without doubt and the resulting grace—and somehow, I am learning to see it as a sign of God’s faithfulness. That is my Beloved pursuing me, pushing me toward the hard parts of my heart, that it is in my best interest to break and then strengthen. Today happened to be a good day, a day of realizing that He is close and knows me intimately and has set me in this place for such a time as this—and I need these days. I need these days to boost morale and motivation and strength—but I also need them for the hard days. I need to hold to what I find on the mountaintop and trust that it is still true in the valley, and stories like this are my reminder: I am called to this. My heart is to know students, to help them see their value, their potential, their inherent belovedness and lay my life down for their example.  Don’t be afraid; don’t be discouraged. He is near and you are loved, and you love what you do. You love that you get to remain childlike, that you get to take joy in clean notebook pages and coloring and the smell of a brand new book. You love that Scholastic is still just as great of a deal as a teacher as it was as a student, that you get to walk through hours and days and weeks watching small humans with huge souls grow more intelligent, more courageous and kind and stronger than they were  on the first day of school, You still get a rush when you figure out a math problem or finish a unit and start a new one, and because God is good, that won’t go away. You will never lose your childlike wonder, because you will never stop being someone’s child…and it is because of this truth that you are a teacher.  Fear not--you've been in the right place all along. 

No comments:

Post a Comment