Celebrating words and Fridays and honesty over at Gypsy Mama. Link on up.
Connected
It never takes more than ten minutes in my high school to see all the flaws of humanity, and so I think all the people I would ever want or need to know. My high school is huge. I always joke that I'm going to walk across the stage at graduation and look at the person next to me and realize I have no idea who the heck he or she is. Sure enough, every new class I take brings new faces, new stories, new freshmen into my life and in twelve weeks the whole cycle repeats all over again but with more people I know. I don't think a time will ever come where I know every single person in the class on any given trimester. I'd love to, but I don't think that's how God intended my high school experience to work. I think he chose to put me here, among people whom I am learning to love, but at the same time drive me up a wall with their sheer wrongness. But at the same time, I guess I'm learning that they have different types of wisdom then I do. One girl I sit with at lunch knows what it's like to struggle with homosexual impulses and still claim her faith in Christ. Another is in a wheelchair full time, but is probably the most cheerful person I will ever meet. Yet another struggles with her relationship with her mom and her body image, but writes ingenious, elaborate stories that leave me breathless just hearing about them. Never mind that she also talks a mile a minute :) Maybe godliness shows up in those who don't actually know him in ways they never could have faked on their own. It could be that they just don't see God in themselves and thus don't believe he exists. It could be that Christianity is deeper and more involved than anything humans could dream up. God can be seen in people who don't even know him, shaping and sculpting their lives as well as our own. What if we're putting up barriers that aren't actually there? In saying that God created us in our inmost being and planned our salvation from day one, where do we leave people who don't currently and may never believe in him? God has a way of showing us up over and over again. Maybe this is just another one of those things we just will never understand. All I know is God, and I'm positive He loves the Hindu girl sitting next to me just as much as he loves me.
Connected
It never takes more than ten minutes in my high school to see all the flaws of humanity, and so I think all the people I would ever want or need to know. My high school is huge. I always joke that I'm going to walk across the stage at graduation and look at the person next to me and realize I have no idea who the heck he or she is. Sure enough, every new class I take brings new faces, new stories, new freshmen into my life and in twelve weeks the whole cycle repeats all over again but with more people I know. I don't think a time will ever come where I know every single person in the class on any given trimester. I'd love to, but I don't think that's how God intended my high school experience to work. I think he chose to put me here, among people whom I am learning to love, but at the same time drive me up a wall with their sheer wrongness. But at the same time, I guess I'm learning that they have different types of wisdom then I do. One girl I sit with at lunch knows what it's like to struggle with homosexual impulses and still claim her faith in Christ. Another is in a wheelchair full time, but is probably the most cheerful person I will ever meet. Yet another struggles with her relationship with her mom and her body image, but writes ingenious, elaborate stories that leave me breathless just hearing about them. Never mind that she also talks a mile a minute :) Maybe godliness shows up in those who don't actually know him in ways they never could have faked on their own. It could be that they just don't see God in themselves and thus don't believe he exists. It could be that Christianity is deeper and more involved than anything humans could dream up. God can be seen in people who don't even know him, shaping and sculpting their lives as well as our own. What if we're putting up barriers that aren't actually there? In saying that God created us in our inmost being and planned our salvation from day one, where do we leave people who don't currently and may never believe in him? God has a way of showing us up over and over again. Maybe this is just another one of those things we just will never understand. All I know is God, and I'm positive He loves the Hindu girl sitting next to me just as much as he loves me.
I like your take on Connected for Five Minute Friday. Your comment, "It could be that Christianity is deeper and more involved than anything humans could dream up," sounds like something C.S. Lewis would say.
ReplyDelete