Friday, November 25, 2011

Five Minute Friday:Grateful

I'm grareful for food and the ridiculous amount that I ate yesterday. I'm grateful for a warm bed to sleep in, even if it wasn't my own and it was probably below freezing. I'm grateful for my brother and sister who jump on my air mattress  just to show their affection. I'm thankful for parents who tease me and laugh with me, even if I'm not always laughing. I'm thankful for a family that's able to have fun and laugh together, while at the same time, able to come together under the God that we all love.  I'm grateful for the many verses that encourage me to be, even when it's not the attitude I always choose to adopt. I'm grateful fo books and lines that hit me and make me sit back and think Oh! I'm thankful for the people I don't get to see today---friends that are three and a half hours away, the precious eight year old lives I get to be a part of, probably scattered all over the States by now. I'm thankful for a God who can handle it all, even if I'm not always confident in him. I'm thankful for the promise of more fun and more food as I sit here slaving away for finals next week. I'm grateful that I can stop and remind myself that it's really not a big deal, that greater things are still to come and greater things are still to be done here. I'm thankful that even now, God is here. The same Jesus that formed seas and stars and me is sitting with me watching me type this---even if I don't usually like anyone watching me type. I'm thankful that, though I've been a little lax lately in my Christian duties, he's stilll here and he's radically in love with me, even as hard as it is to believe. Even while I'm sitting here thinking What will they think of what I'm typing? Do I sound fake or preachy or stilted? Oh crap, I just hit Caps lock AGAIN! he's saying It's OK.  Because I think it's great, I think you're perfect and that's all that matters. I'm the one who made you, I'm the one who knows you infinitely better then you know yourself. It's OK. Chill. I got this. I've got you. That's what Thanksgivng's about, is looking for God where you normally wouldn't see him, finding him in mounds of homework when all you really want to do is go back to bed or hang out with  family or watch a movie. He's in the chaos leading up to exams and the relief afterwards and the Christmas season whihc I am SO excited for. While I'm on break, I'm longing for a real break. One where I don't have to lie in bed thinking of what needs to be done or trsessing out about that dumb speech. I want to get close to God again. I want to have time to breathe and remind myself of who I am and who I belong to. But even now, in the less then ideal holiday lugging my fifty pound backpack along wth our luggage, he's here.

And right now, that's all that matters.

Happy day after Thanksgivng! What a perfect day for Friday to fall on.  After the craziness of holidays when the dust seems to settle and there's still Christmas to look forwards to. Link up here and tell us what you're thinking :)

1 comment:

  1. Alyssa Joy,
    As usual, I love every single bit of this. Your honesty all mixed up with a faith this always there in the mix. I marvel at the way you find God in it all! It was hard to choose, but I loved these:

    "I'm grateful for the many verses that encourage me to be, even when it's not the attitude I always choose to adopt."

    "I'm thankful for a God who can handle it all, even if I'm not always confident in him."

    "The same Jesus that formed seas and stars and me is sitting with me watching me type this..."

    "That's what Thanksgivng's about, is looking for God where you normally wouldn't see him..."

    GREAT POST!!!!!

    ReplyDelete